Assisted reproduction was created with the aim of helping infertile couples to become parents. However, due to the evolution of the techniques and thanks to the donation of gametes, nowadays couples of the same sex and people without a partner also use assisted reproduction to have children.
Next, we are going to comment on the techniques that each family model needs to be able to be parents:
- Heterosexual couples
- need assisted reproduction due to fertility problems. The main techniques they use are artificial insemination (AI) and in vitro fertilization (IVF).
- Single women and lesbian couples
- need sperm donation in order to become pregnant, either through AI or IVF.
- Single men and gay couples
- need egg donation and surrogacy to have a child, as men are not capable of gestation.
Read the full article on: What are Assisted Reproductive Techniques (ART)? – Types & Costs ( 79).
By Blanca Paraíso M.D., Ph.D., M.Sc. (gynecologist), Júlia Roig Navarro M.D. (gynecologist), María Eugenia Ballesteros Moffa M.D., M.Sc., B.Sc. (gynecologist), Miguel Dolz Arroyo M.D., Ph.D. (gynecologist), Sara Salgado B.Sc., M.Sc. (embryologist), Silvia Azaña Gutiérrez B.Sc., M.Sc. (embryologist), Zaira Salvador B.Sc., M.Sc. (embryologist) and Cristina Algarra Goosman B.Sc., M.Sc. (psychologist).
Last Update: 01/03/2022