Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Facing fertility testing when conceiving as a single woman

Facing fertility testing when conceiving as a single woman

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Sonya*</span>
    Sonya*

Hi, this is Sonya and I’m 31. I want to become a single mother by choice, and that’s why I prefer donor insemination… I’ve visited a fertility clinic and they’ve told me I have to undergo a series of fertility tests: a blood test and a sonosalpingography, but I’m concerned because I actually don’t understand why I have to undergo these tests, since I’m a young woman. I mean, if I were trying to conceive naturally, I wouldn’t have to undergo such testing, why should I now that I want to become a single mom? That’s what I don’t understand! Can you help?

11/26/2015 at 6:16 pm
  2. Hello Sonya,

The purpose of the blood test is analyzing your hormone levels to examine your ovarian reserve. Sonosalpingography is a test through which both tubal patency and your uterine anatomy are observed. Thanks to it, the fertility treatment will be as successful as possible.

Even though, in principle, you are a young, healthy woman without reported fertility problems, in case you had low ovarian reserve or one of your fallopian tubes was blocked, artificial insemination by donor (AID) wouldn’t be the most recommendable option. Instead, in vitro fertilization would be the chosen technique.

It is true that no fertility tests are necessary when trying to conceive naturally; however, you should bear in mind that fertility treatments entail high financial costs as well as a psychological impact. Thus. making sure that you will be able to achieve pregnancy via AID is advisable before getting started with the treatment. Otherwise, you’d be at risk of choosing the wrong technique.

Hope this helps

12/03/2015 at 6:28 pm