Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Can I become a single mom with donor eggs? How likely am I to get pregnant?

Can I become a single mom with donor eggs? How likely am I to get pregnant?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">SingleFlower</span>
    SingleFlower

Hello,

I’m a novice in the field of egg donation and fertility care, so I’ve plenty of doubts right now… Here’s my story.

Like 6 years ago I underwent chemotherapy due to cancer… I’ve no frozen eggs or embryos, because I didn’t consider I wanted to be a mother till my OB/GYN told be about egg donation…

The problem (or at least I think it’s a problem) is that I’m not married nor on a relationship, so… do you think I will be allowed to have a baby with donor eggs? I don’t know if having a partner is a pre-requisite… What are my chances taking into account I’m 42?

TIA

06/19/2016 at 12:41 pm
  2. Dear SingleFlower,

Being married is not necessary, and the same regarding being on a relationship or not: it’s not a requirement for accessing fertility care, regardless of whether you turn to egg donation or use your own eggs. Given that you are older than age 40, you have to do it at a private medical facility, and there are no requirements to undergo IVF with donor eggs, you can access it as a single mother as well.

Pregnancy success rates with donor eggs are almost 60% per embryo transfer, and they can even reach 90% in second cycles and further. Pregnancy success rates do not vary significantly with the age of the recipient, since egg quality is high as they are donor eggs. If it were an IVF cycle with own eggs, we could see great fluctuations in this rate, as egg quality diminishes as a woman gets older. In your case, it is crucial that you have your endometrium (i.e. uterine lining) well prepared so that it reaches the adequate thickness and structure to boost the chances of embryo implantation.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best regards

06/20/2016 at 5:01 pm