Uterine fibroids or myomas can be located in different areas of the muscular uterine wall, being those which appear in the uterine cavity the ones that affect a woman's chances of getting pregnant to a larger extent. Depending on their location, they can be classified into three types:
- Subserosal uterine fibroids
- on the outside wall of the uterus.
- Intramural uterine fibroids
- in the wall of the uterus.
- Submucosal uterine fibroids
- inside the cavity of the uterus.
Subserosal and submucosal fibroids can also be pedunculated, which means that they are connected to the uterus only by a stalk called peduncle.