- Master's Degree in Medical & Clinical Management from the UNED and the Escuela Nacional de Sanidad del Instituto de Salud Carlos III (2013)
- ASEBIR Certification in Human Assisted Reproduction. Clinical Embryology. (2010).
- European Embryology Certification: Senior Clinical Embryologist. By ESHRE (2008).
- Qualification of specialist in Human Assisted Reproduction (2003).
- European Professional authorization (1994) (MSPSeI)
- PhD in Medicine & Surgery from the University of Murcia (1988)
- Bachelor's Degree in Medicine & Surgery from the Basque Country University (UPV) (1983)
- Director of Assisted Reproduction Unit of Centro de Estudios para la Reproducción (CER SANTANDER) in Santander and Director of the Diagnostic Unit of Human Assisted Reproduction in Bilbao (present).
- Director of Andrology & Human Reproduction lab at Euskalduna Clinic of Bilbao (1986-2008)
- Director of Clinical Embryology Lab at Hospital de Cruces (Vizcaya) (1983-1986)
Honors and awards
- FIRST BIRTH at a State Hospital and second in Spain after using In Vitro Fertilization with Embryo Transfer (9 July, 1985).
- EUROPE'S FIRST BIRTH after using Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer technique (13 October 1985).
- Spain's first case of ICSI using sperm collected post-mortem (2001).
Scientific community involvement
- Member of the Expert Committee consulted by the Miembro del comité de expertos consultado por la parliamentary commission, chaired by Mr. Marcelo Palacios, for the development of the Law 35/88 on Human Assisted Reproduction Techniques (years 1985-86) (First European Law on Human Assisted Reproduction).
- Co-author of specialty program in "Clinical Embryology", presented by the Ministry of Health, Social Policy and Equality (MSCyPSeI).
- Co-author of book for specialists-to-be leading to the Certificate of Human Assisted Reproduction. Clinical Embryology.
- Vice-president of ASEBIR (Asociación para el Estudio de la Biología de la Reproducción).
- Teacher of University Master's Degree in Biology and Technology of Reproduction, organized by the University of Oviedo.
- President of the Certification & Specialities Commission in the field of Human Reproduction at ASEBIR
- Co-representative of ASEBIR at meetings with the Ministry of Health, Social Policy and Equality (MSCyPSeI) to support the creation of a specialty in "Assisted Reproduction and Clinical Embryology"
- Research works as main researcher and associate professor at the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU)
- Participation in tribunals of research internships and doctoral theses
- Publication of scientific publications and participation in books
- Academician of the Real Academia de Ciencias Médicas de Vizcaya since 1983.
- Member of the Spanish Fertility Society (SEF), ASEBIR, Spanish Andrology Society (ASESA) and the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE).
Latest articles and collaborations
- IVF Failure - Staying Positive & Options for Success
- Improving Sperm Selection with MACS: Definition & Indication
- What Is PCOS or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome?
- What Are a Woman's Chances of Conceiving with PCOS?
- Artificial Insemination (AI) Using Ovulation Induction
- Embryo Culture Media for Human IVF
- What Is Hemophilia? Causes, Symptoms and Pregnancy
- What Are Uterine Fibroids? - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
- What Does It Mean to Have a Threatened Miscarriage?
- Why Does a Miscarriage Happen? - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Latest replies to FAQs
- What are my chances of getting pregnant with IUI if I have PCOS?
- Is there an increased risk of miscarriage in pregnancies achieved using reproductive technologies?
- At how many implantation failures do I know when it's time to resort to egg donation?
- What is the best treatment for myomatosis if I want to have children later?
- How do I know the chances of my embryos becoming blastocysts?
- How many days does ovarian stimulation last in an artificial insemination?
- What percentage of sperm selection using adnexin V columns increases the probability of successful treatment?
- What should I do to achieve pregnancy if I'm already going through the third negative IVF?