Its function is to provide an external supply of luteinizing hormone (LH). This hormone is a gonadotropin that intervenes in the processes of follicular growth, maturation, and release of the egg. Therefore, correct levels of LH are essential for the proper functioning of the reproductive cycle.
This drug is especially indicated for women with LH deficiency, who have serum LH levels below 1.2 IU/l.
Provided bellow is an index with the 10 points we are going to expand on in this article.
What is Luveris 75 IU?
The hormone that occurs in Luveri is the recombinant luteinizing hormone (LHr). This hormone is very similar to human LH but has been synthesized in the laboratory using genetic engineering techniques.
This makes it purer, more specific, and can be better adapted to the needs of each patient.
Luveris comes with two small vials containing 75 IU of powder with the active drug and solvent for solution for injection.
This vial contains a powdered tablet containing the active ingredient of the drug, lutropin alpha, which is a type of recombinant LH hormone.
In this vial, along with alpha lutropin, we can also find sucrose, disodium phosphate dihydrate, monosodium phosphate monohydrate, polysorbate 20, methionine, nitrogen, concentrated phosphoric acid and sodium hydroxide as excipients.
The solid components of the medicine are packed in a 3 ml clear glass vial with a small-cap and safety rings to protect the contents.
The list of compounds in the ampoule of the solvent is reduced to water only for injectable preparations.
The liquid is packaged in a clear 3 ml glass vial with a Teflon-coated rubber stopper or a 2 ml colorless glass ampoule.
Presentation of Luveris 75 IU
This drug can be found in the market with different presentations:
- Package with 1 vial of lyophilized and 1 vial of solvent: this type of packaging comes prepared so that the patient can be given a single dose. This format costs around $61.00.
- Package with 3 vials of lyophilized and 3 vials of solvent: the presentation of Luveris 75 UI with 3 vials of lyophilized powder and 3 of injectable solvent. The cost of Luveris 75 IU with 3 vials of powder and 3 of solvent is approximately $177.99.
- Container with 10 vials of lyophilisate and 10 vials of solvent: This type of presentation is intended for patients undergoing ovarian stimulation treatment so that they can administer the drug themselves during the weeks of treatment. Its price is at around $549.00.
Purpose of Luveris 75 IU
Luveris is recommended in treatments for women who do not produce sufficient amounts of gonadotropins.
This drug may be used along with other drugs to promote follicular development and egg maturation. Luveris 75 IU should be given daily for more than a week to mimic a woman's follicular growth cycle.
Fertility treatments, like any other medical treatment, require that you trust the fertility specialists that will be by your side during your journey. Logically, each clinic has a different work methodology. Our Fertility Report will offer you a selection of recommended clinics, that is, fertility centers that have passed our rigorous selection process. Moreover, our system is capable of comparing the costs and conditions of each one so that you can make a well-informed decision.
The treatment must be adapted to the individual response of each patient. Therefore, after the gynecological examinations that the patient must do every 2 days, the doctor will adjust the necessary dose according to the response to the treatment.
At the end of the administration of Luveris, it is followed by the administration of an injection of Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG), which promotes the maturation and release of the eggs produced during ovarian stimulation.
How is Luveris 75 IU used?
The doctor is the one who will mark the exact dose of administration.
In this way, treatment can be tailored to each woman's response.
Follicle size will be monitored through ultrasound controls to see if any dose adjustment is needed. Blood estrogen levels are also checked to make sure the treatment is working as expected.
Luveris is administered daily during the process of ovarian stimulation. The time will be set according to the stimulation protocol marked by the doctor. However, this period may not exceed 3 weeks of administration. This drug is usually taken at the same time as FSH.
This drug is administered by subcutaneous injections. Patients should carefully follow the instructions of the doctor and health care staff for the injections at home.
Before each injection, the patient must reconstruct the drug, i.e. mix the powder with the solvent.
To do this, read the entire package insert carefully, wash your hands and prepare the necessary material for application:
- One vial of Luveris powder
- One vial of dissolvent Luveris
- Reconstitution needle
- Fine needle for subcutaneous injection
- Alcohol-soaked gauze
Once the material is prepared, the following step-by-step instructions for use should be followed:
- Step 1: remove the protector from the solvent vial. Place the reconstitution needle in the syringe and insert the tip of the needle into the vial of solvent to absorb the entire contents with the syringe. Leave the loaded syringe on the table without the needle touching any surface.
- Step 2: remove the protection of the Luveris powder vial. Take the syringe loaded with the solvent and slowly introduce all the solvent into the vial of Luveris powder.
- Step 3: without removing the syringe from the vial, gently move the solution without shaking it. Check that no particles or dust are floating in the medium, the liquid must be clear.
- Step 4: turn the vial upside down and hold the syringe with the plunger down. Gently draw the solution from the vial by absorbing it with the syringe.
- Step 5: remove the reconstitution needle and replace it with the fine injection needle.
- Step 6: eliminate possible air bubbles. To do this, place the syringe upwards and tap it gently until the bubbles rise to the top where the needle is. Push the plunger of the syringe gently until the air bubbles are removed by the needle.
It is important to note that the drug should not be used if the solution contains particles or if it is not clear (clear and well-diluted). Also, make sure that the syringe is free of air bubbles.
The solution should be injected immediately after preparation. Your doctor should have informed you beforehand of the form and location of the injection:
- Clean the area where the injection into the belly is to be performed with the gauze in alcohol.
- Pinch the skin, insert the needle at a 45° to 90° angle and administer the medication under the skin by gently pressing the plunger to empty the syringe.
- Immediately remove the needle from the skin and clean the wound produced with an alcohol swab.
All used material should be disposed of safely after administration. The needles should be placed in a glass container or container intended for sharp objects.
If there is any remaining solution, it should also be discarded, as it cannot be managed in future applications.
The information published here should in no way replace the advice given by your doctor.
Luvieris 75 IU is not indicated in the following cases:
- Allergy and/or hypersensitivity to gonadotropins or any of the excipients.
- Carcinoma of the ovary, uterus, or breast
- Brain Tumor
- Alterations in the size of ovaries or cysts in women who do not have PCOS
- Gynecological hemorrhages of unknown cause
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Patients with porphyria, or a history of the disease, may have acute attacks during treatment with Luveris. Porphyria is a metabolic disease characterized by the inability to metabolize porphyrins, so they accumulate in the body and affect the nervous system. Treatment will need to be stopped if an acute episode of porphyria occurs or if the disease first manifests itself.
Side effects and warnings
Common side effects in this treatment affect 1-10 out of 100 patients using Luveris. These effects are as follows:
- Abdominal pain
- Chest pain
- Pelvic pain
- Reactions at the injection site, such as pain, redness, and swelling
This drug stimulates the production of follicles in the ovaries, which increases the risk of Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS). Severe SHO is unlikely to occur if you follow your doctor's guidelines during the procedure.
When using this type of medication, there is an increased risk of multiple pregnancies. This type of pregnancy is considered a risk to both mother and baby. You can reduce your chance of having a multiple pregnancy by following your health care provider's instructions and guidelines.
Treatment with gonadotropins, such as Luveris 75 IU, may increase the risk of a thromboembolic episode in women who are predisposed to it.
FAQs from users
What is the drug Luveris used for?
Luveris is a drug whose active ingredient is the luteinizing hormone, or LH. This hormone is produced in the anterior lobe of the pituitary. Along with follicle-stimulating hormone or FSH, it is part of a group of hormones called gonadotropins. It is an essential hormone in the regulation of the menstrual cycle and in the production of other hormones.
Luveris is usually given in an ovarian stimulation to help the growth of follicles in LH-deficient women.
How long does the Luveris treatment last?
Luveris is usually used daily, for up to three weeks.
However, if your doctor considers it appropriate, he or she may extend the treatment for up to 5 weeks.
What can I do if I miss a dose of Luveris?
If you have forgotten to apply one of the doses of Luveris, you should call your doctor or the contact person at the fertility center and tell them. This person will tell you how to proceed with your treatment.
Under no circumstances should you inject a double dose of Luveris to try to make up for a missed dose.
Does Luveris need to be refrigerated?
Not necessarily. Keep Luveris in its original packaging to protect it from sunlight. In addition, the drug should be stored in a cool environment not exceeding 25 ºC.
Do not use this medicine after the expiration date and keep it out of the reach of children.
Suggested for you
If you would like more information on the drugs used in assisted reproduction treatments, do not miss out on the following article Medications for Ovarian Stimulation in AI and IVF.
If you also want to know in more detail what the process of in vitro Fertilization consists of, have a look at the following article: In vitro fertilization (IVF): Definition & Cost.
We make a great effort to provide you with the highest quality information.
🙏 Please share this article if you liked it. 💜💜 You help us continue!
Agencia Española de Medicamentos y Productos Sanitarios. CIMA. LUVERIS 75 UI, POLVO Y DISOLVENTE PARA SOLUCION INYECTABLE. Nº REGISTRO: 00155006. Ficha técnica o resumen de las características del producto. (ver)
European Medicines Agency. Luveris: EPAR - Product Information. Última actualización: 31/08/2018 (ver)
European Medicines Agency. Luveris: EPAR - Summary for the public. Última actualización: 03/08/2011 (ver)