The different sections of this article have been assembled into the following table of contents.
Its format is Decapeptyl SR 3 mg, powder for suspension for injection.
- Active substance: Triptorelin. It is a GnRH analog.
- Qualitative and quantitative composition: Triptorelin (I.N.N.) 4.2mg, as triptorelin acetate. The vial contains an overage to ensure that a dose of 3mg is administered to the patient. Excipients: D,L-lactide/glycolide copolymer, Mannitol, Carmellose sodium, Polysorbate 80
- Nature and contents of container: A type I, 5mL capacity glass vial with an elastomer stopper and an aluminium cap containing the powder. Type I, 3mL capacity glass ampoule containing 2mL of the suspension vehicle. Box containing 1 vial and 1 ampoule with 1 syringe and 2 needles.
Indications & contraindications for use
It is indicated in cases of female infertility as well as for the complementary treatment in association with the gonadotropins (hMG, FSH and hCG) in the course of ovulation induction in view of in-vitro fertilisation or ICSI.
On the other hand, it is contraindicated in cases of hypersensitivity to GnRH, its analogues or any other component of the medicinal product. It should not be used during pregnancy and lactation.
Side effects & potential interactions
Some studies have reported isolated cases of suffocations, asthenia, severe headache, and migraine have occurred. Injection site erythema may occur. No effects on ability to drive and use machine have been observed.
No interactions with other drugs have been reported.
Instructions for use
Decapeptyl should not be stored at a temperature above 25°C. Keep the container in the outer carton and out of the reach and sight of children.
The following are the steps to take for use:
- The suspension for injection must be reconstituted using an aseptic technique and only using the ampoule of mannitol solution 0.8% for injection that is provided as the suspension vehicle for Decapeptyl SR 3 mg.
- The suspension vehicle should be drawn into the syringe provided using one of the injection needles and transferred to the vial containing the powder for injection.
- The vial should be shaken from side to side until a homogeneous suspension is formed, and the mixture then drawn back into the syringe without inverting the vial.
- The injection needle should then be changed and the second needle used to administer the injection.
- As the product is a suspension, the injection should be administered immediately after reconstitution to prevent sedimentation.
- To ensure patients receive the correct dose, each vial of Decapeptyl SR 3 mg contains a small overage to allow for predictable losses on reconstitution and injection.
The vial is intended for single use only and any remaining product should be discarded. Used injection needles should be disposed of in a designated sharps container.
Please note that this a prescription-only item. Always take Decapeptyl SR exactly as your doctor has told you.
Our editors have made great efforts to create this content for you. By sharing this post, you are helping us to keep ourselves motivated to work even harder.