As a consequence of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS), different complications may arise in women. Most of them are due to the release of fluid into the abdominal and lung cavity.
Among the most important risks derived from ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome are the following:
- Lung complications due to flooding.
- Imbalances in the concentration of electrolytes and water.
- Impaired kidney function, resulting in decreased frequency and volume of urination.
- Liver damage due to the accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity.
- Thrombotic processes due to the rupture of an ovarian cyst.
All of these complications should be monitored by a specialist to avoid further danger to the woman's health.