The risk of miscarriage is an alert state in which the doctors consider that there are signifcant chances for a miscarriage. For this reason, the doctors give the pregnant woman a series of advices so that the risk drops off.
There are several symptoms that the woman might experience and they are indicators of a risk of miscarriage. These symptoms are varied and should be analysed by a doctor if there is a real risk of losing the baby.
- Vaginal bleeding: if it is frequent and begins before week 20 of pregnancy. It is also possible to expel blood clots.
- Abdominal cramping: strong pressure in the abdominal area.
- Lumbago: stabbing pain in the back and lower abdomen.
In case of risk of miscarriage, the doctor provides the patient with some guidelines such as:
- Avoid sexual intercourse
- Complete bed rest
- Avoid eating cold meat or poorly cooked meat.
- Avoid medication without the doctor’s prescription.
The pregnant woman should keep a healthy lifestyle and a varied and balanced diet. It goes without saying that she should avoid drug abuse, alcohol drinking and smoking.
In some cases, progesterone, a female sex hormone, has been administered to the patient. However, its use has been called into question lately. The controversy rises because the use of this hormone has not been proved to be useful to avoid miscarriages. Nevertheless, it is advisable to use progesterone in cases of recurring miscarriage, that is, after three miscarriages in a row.
Having risk of miscarriage does not imply that the miscarriage is actually going to happen. You should remain calm and lean on your family. Emotional support is very important in this situations.