The different sections of this article have been assembled into the following table of contents.
Main pros of IUI
The advantages of this technique can be summarized as follows:
- It is one of the simplest assisted reproductive techniques.
- It is the closest method to natural conception: although the sperm is inserted artificially into the uterus, a natural selection of sperm occurs before the egg is fertilised.
- It is a painless technique. This means anaesthesia is unnecessary; therefore, there is no high risk for the patient, who might feel more confident as a result.
- It is a low cost technique, especially in comparison with other techniques, since it does not require too much medical intervention nor complex maintenance and handling systems of embryo culture.
- Thanks to the hormone treatment administered to the woman, the ovulation date is known accurately. This translates, if compared to timed intercourse, in greater chances for success as well as greater control when it comes to inserting the sperm.
- The ovarian stimulation cycle performed previously to this technique is milder than that required in an IVF treatment. Consequently, the possible side effects caused by the hormone treatment might be diminished.
- Semen quality is improved thanks to the capacitation that is performed previously to the insemination. This increases the likelihood of getting pregnant.
- It enables single women and lesbian couples to be on motherhood.
Our editors have made great efforts to create this content for you. By sharing this post, you are helping us to keep ourselves motivated to work even harder.